Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Shaaheen

I am standing at the edge,
Waves beat against the cliff,
I spread my wings and jump off,
Without a doubt, without an if!

For years have I sat and watched,
Plagued with self doubt,
While others flew around me,
Inside me there raged a bout.

I didn't fly far and wide,
Yet, a lot have I watched and learnt,
Weathered sun, torrents and hurricanes,
Seen others both high and burnt.

I am falling towards the waves,
They leap to swallow me up,
Drown me, storm me, or ravage me,
I will keep trying flying up.

I flap my wings with passion,
There is no more shame or sin,
The air breathes into my lungs,
And feeds the fire within.

"If you don't, gimme a call,
I'll fly with you"

3 comments:

bp said...

The simily with the missile is terrific.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Previous deletion because of errors while writing "on the fly".Here's the error free version-

Talking about "flight"....

I am amazed to see an eagle fledgeling learning to soar,
It takes off at once from high cliffs,
With bequeathed wings,
And an inherited instinct,
It learns to glide with the winds..

But more than that,

I am inspired by the strident efforts of a dull caterpillar,
Patiently undergoing stages after stages of metamorphosis...
To see it hang on to a leaf, cramped in the shell of the chrysalis,
Battered by the wind and tormented by the storm,
Whose sufferings teach it not only to fly,
but also adorn it with beauty and grace alike.

So think not of flight
As only synonymous to height,
And be not afraid of being the ugly caterpillar
Before the world sees your true colors.